While we enjoy producing hard cheese, our accountants may not share the same sentiment (sorry guys!).
Although our previous hard goat milk cheeses were impressive in taste, they had a high rate of loss, making them financially impractical to continue producing. Ceridwen tasked Head Cheesemaker Rob to create a ‘hybrid’, a combination of both cow’s milk and goat's milk, allowing us to continue to make a hard goat's milk cheese - because we know you guys love it!
The first recipe was made to be similar to a Tomme, however, it covered in mould quickly. Rob decided to try a washed curd-style cheese, which wasn't available in our range. In the second trial, 63% cow and 37% goat milk didn't have enough of the tanginess Ceridwen was aiming for. The third trial, 50% cow and 50% goat milk was deemed to have a gentle tangy flavour whilst a supple and springy texture - BINGO!
After our latest Milawa Cheese Club release, we asked our members to name the new cheese. Giving them the following five options:
- CBGB - Ceridwen the cheese guru vs Gareth the accountant.
- Henley - Gareth has put forward Henley for Henley Ridge, between Milawa and Whorouly.
- Rob’s Blend - A nod to Head Cheesemaker Rob
- Mad Rob Morgans - Named after a local bushranger, and an affectionate nod to our Head Cheesemaker Rob Morgans!
- High Country Hero - A blend of milk that comes from the foothills of the Victorian Alps.
We collated the votes and ultimately the winner is: Henley Ridge
Henley Ridge will be available from Good Friday in our cheese shop here in Milawa and online only.