Impress your guests with this stunning homemade flatbread topped with Milawa Blue and caramelised onion.
Recipe credit: Delicious.com.au
- 20g unsalted butter
- 3 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 150g Milawa Blue, crumbled
- 1/3 cup (50g) pine nuts
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- 3 cups (450g) bread & pizza flour, plus extra to dust
- 7g sachet dried instant yeast
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- For the dough, combine flour, yeast and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Combine oil and 1 cup (250ml) warm water, then add to the flour mixture. Stir to combine, then use your hands to form into a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turning to coat lightly with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and rest in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size
- Meanwhile, to make the caramelised onion, place the butter and onion in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes until onion is soft. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes until the onion is glossy and caramelised, and any excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 230°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Knock back the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until smooth and elastic. Roll out to a 1cm-thick 40cm x 25cm oval. Transfer to the lined baking tray. Top the dough with the caramelised onion, leaving a 1cm border, then sprinkle over the blue and pine nuts. Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Allow the flatbread to cool for 5 minutes, then scatter with rocket leaves. Slice into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.